“Where Friends Meet on Brick Streets”, is a popular theme for Oberlin promotions groups. The first red brick streets were put in the city beginning in 1922, when Oberlin’s city governing board let a contract for seven blocks of improvements to enhance shopping for downtown business owners and residents who were buying the latest modes of transportation. Included in the brick paving were Penn Avenue, two blocks on Hall and Commercial Streets. The cost with curbs, gutters and storm system was $125,526. In December of that year more of the residential streets were paved with brick. Again the dollar value of the historic brick streets can not be measured when compared to maintenance needs for streets built using current paving methods.
Economic Development & Chamber Contact
GROW Decatur County Foundation