Norcatur City Office
301 E Ossipee, P.O. Box 89
Norcatur, KS 67653
(785) 693-4461 Website: City of Norcatur
Mon – Fri: 8 – 12
Norcatur, like other towns, was mushroomed on the prairies with no assurance that its existence would be continued or that a railroad would be near. In 1879 John Duncan, whose claim as two miles north of the present site of Norcatur, predicted there might be a town near his claim. In 1884 his dream began to come true. In 1885 Norcatur was surveyed and platted by the Lincoln Land Company. With the coming of the railroad, Norcatur was on its way; the town was built with a rush. Every nook and corner was filled to overflowing. Mrs. Rockwell operated the first store in town, moving her store of goods from Rockwell City, one of the early towns that did not get a railroad. A post office, bank, and blacksmith shop soon followed. Dwelling houses went up last and Norcatur was considered great. But in the spring of 1886 fire broke out and destroyed the entire east side of town. The horrors of prairie fires were here displayed, as it was in the same fire that William B Shirley, homesteader living five miles north of Norcatur was burned to death.
Norcatur, located on the Norton-Decatur County line and named in part for both counties, was incorporated in 1901 and held its first election November 13,1901. J.H. Rooney was elected mayor.
The first bank of Norcatur was conducted from a tent in 1885, but today the Citizen’s State Bank of Norcatur cares for the banking needs of Norcatur and community from a fine, well equipped brick building.
A modern fire proof city hall was erected under P.W.A. in 1938. This building houses the fire truck, library, administration rooms, jail and banquet room.
The city owns and operates its own water system. The present population is near 151.